Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Scuba Drowning, Not Really

Paul and I went Scuba diving only for the second time since we've been here. Only 2 times in over 6 weeks is pretty pitiful but we ventured out to enjoy some beautiful sunshine and warm breezes on the boat and get in 2 good dives today.
As we were leaving the pier I spied "Dr. Death" on the next boat. No really, he looked like something that movie producers depict as the image from the other side. He kept staring at me which should have been an omen......

Our first dive was a deep pinnacle dive and all was fine with that. We dove to about 108 feet and had great visibility and saw some pretty nice "waterlife". After resting during our down time in between dives, we went over to Tent Reef which is a nice shallow dive; no deeper than about 60 feet or so. Once we got to the bottom the currents really picked up and I decided to cut the dive short and make my way to the surface. Swimming against the current I felt like I wasn't making ANY headway and then got a horrible charlie horse cramp in my right calf. I went ahead and surfaced only to see the dive boat was more than 100 yards away and I had to swim the rest of the way, cramp and all against the heavy current. End result, a sore leg and the decision to exercise more so this old and tired self of mine can deal with these kinds of hardships.
Relived that I had beaten The Reaper this time around we had to stop at Pop's Place once we docked for a cold refreshing beverage to celebrate my living!