Friday, July 31, 2009

Christophenes

Christophene: A gourd imported from Mexico , it's eaten raw or cooked, typically to accompany a main dish. It is very watery.

Yesterday was my very first experience with a "thing" called a Christophene.

We got a bag full of them and Leanna told me to peel them and she would show Paul how they were prepared. They are kind of like a potato / apple / squash / gourd combo!

So I finished peeling the skin off all of these Christophenes and was standing there talking about the different recipes you can make with them and all of the sudden my fingers and hands starting to feel weird. Leanna said that I should have put some oil on my hands first because the fruit will dry out your skin and make your hands peel off. Thanks a bunch! It felt like that old white glue we had in elementary school that dried on your hands.

And I'm thinking to myself "Myself, if it did THAT to my hands, what in the world is it going to do to my mouth, stomach and ultimately by "back side"?????

Needless to say I did not try them. Happy Friday from Saba.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are merlitons aka chayote squash. We used to eat them all the time in Louisiana - there are tons of creole recipes for them. Absolutely superb stuffed with shrimp or crawfish tails, shallots, breadcrumbs and butter!

Beth Skipper said...

Chris, as Tim said, this delicious little squash is what I have always known as a merliton. Let me know if you want any recipes.