Thursday, October 22, 2009

Puerto Ri CO-NO-NO

It seems as if every time I travel something silly, stupid or downright ridiculous happens to me. Yesterday was no different.

I arrive at the Saba airport just before the 11am flight was coming in and I notice that it was about to land from the wrong direction which I've never seen before. The security guard told me he had to land this way because there wasn't enough "draft". (my word, not hers) Now it always makes me nervous to fly in & out of Saba and when something out of the ordinary happens it does not help my anxiety.

Needless to say we took off right on time, had a quick layover on St. Eustastiuas, and then headed off for St. Maarten.

Once there I got through Customs and waited patiently for my bag which never came. The conveyor belt stopped and my bag was not there. I went out to the main terminal to check with WinAir. She called to baggage and said my bag WAS there and someone would bring it out to me.

They DID and IT wasn't. Mine, that is. While being similar size & red, it was NOT my suitcase which is filled with cold weather clothes for the trip home. I headed back over to the WinAir counter to discuss my situation and passed this young lady pulling along a red suitcase. I stopped her and asked if she had the right one... She didn't, I did and we swapped. Problem solved!!

Now we're off to Puerto Rico. We landed right on time, got through customs, immigration and collected my "correct" red suitcase and then rechecked it with TSA so they could send it on to my final destination, BWI.

While walking towards the security check points I see this guy in a wheelchair spinning around and doing little wheelies barking out things. He sees me and yells

"HOLE-AHH SEEN YOUR, DOO JEW WAN CHOO CHINE?"

Now I'm thinking (again, dangerous for me) I know he wants something but For the Love of Christ, What the Hell is he saying? I gave him a dollar just to make him go away and as I'm at the security counter taking my "CHOOES" off I realized he wanted to shine my shoes.

Now I get angry at myself because they are matte finished loafers and never would have been shined in the first place.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't carry such a "girly" looking suitcase, Never trust a guy in a wheelchair doing wheelies and accept that my lack of proficiency in Spanglish will cost me every time!!

2 comments:

CPC said...

just remember cervasa means beer and you'll be home free. maybe the trip back to Saba will be uneventful. Miss ya and see you soon.

Sabarickymartin said...

I swear you have the best stories and need your own sitcom :-)