Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Big Estate Sale


When we began preparing ourselves for the big move Paul and I spent an entire week prepping the house for the big estate sale. I carefully packaged our fine linens, sheets and towels together so everything would be perfectly displayed for our high end, quality buyers. What a wasted effort! By halfway through the first day everything was ripped open and torn apart. I think our elite clientele was busy shopping the Nordstrom's sale rather than perusing our vast amount of treasures throughout the house.



We did offer for sale this beautiful hand painted Limoges china service. I was a little nervous when the mini van pulled up full of children. They were from Annandale (that means Chinese in Falls Church"ese") I was scared to death that one of them was going to knock over the whole table. Luckily we didn't have any PACIFIC RIM items for sale so they didn't stay for very long.

My favorite story of the day was this woman who brought up 4 packages of paper napkins from the basement and I told her they'd be $1.00 a piece. She exclaimed she could buy these same napkins at CostCo for less than that. I told her to go ahead and waste the $7.00 worth of gas it would take her to drive that big SUV down there and buy them there.

I am finding that being nice and cordial to people in the DC area is getting tiresome. That's why I'm on the short list for our Nation's Capital.

1 comment:

Doug Johnson said...

Just give me that China bitch! Good job on your blog, I hope you keep it up.