Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Little Preview of Saba

Since we're in the final countdown before the big departure I thought I would share a little "sneak peak" at my new home!


Here is an aerial view of the little island called Saba (pronounced Say-Buh). The entire island is 5 square miles and has roughly 1,400 full time residents and also houses an accredited medical school which adds another 1,200-1,400 people between students and faculty.

This is the largest plane that can land on the island. The runway is a little longer than an aircraft carrier and holds the record for the shortest commercial airport runway in the world. Luckily there has not ever been a crash! So, I'm sure my flight will break that track record.

The island adheres to a fairly strict architectural "code" and most of the homes on the island are white clapboard with green shutters and red roofs. It is so freakin' adorable it makes me want to vomit.



The island is a dormant volcano so there's lots of cliffs around that I can throw myself off from when the boredom sinks in.

No comments: