Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Search for the Elusive Anegadan Flamingo


Today being our final day in Anegada we decided that we'd try to find this darn bird that has only been told to us in Fairy Tales so far.

We drove around the island circling the Salt Ponds (more like Salt Flats given the recent lack of rain) where these little pink fellows live. Supposedly.....

As we passed this one area we saw lots of pink dots far off in the distance and were convinced that we had found our prize! The fabled Anegadan Pink Flamingo.

We continued around the Salt Ponds until we thought we were close enough and "ventured in" and in, and in, and in.......

While driving across this vast dune of land we were convinced that we were nearby and could see them until we drove over the little patch of "moisture".

After getting mired into this thick, stinky, soggy, mushy mess of gunk I looked out over the distance and could only think of the poor Mexicans that try to make their big break across the Southern Borders of Texas. My God, "I'm going to become a statistic" I thought!!!
Luckily we walked for a bit and got back to the main road and got some help to pull us out. I now look like a coconut with my tanned hide which baked in the sun for hours on end. I know in my heart of hearts, though, that I will make some Dermotologist a fortune at some point in the future. Just doing my part to keep the economy moving forward.
In the end we finally found our little feathery friends and Paul got this awesome shot of them!!
(NOT)

No comments: