Sunday, September 13, 2009

Virgin Gorda


One of the first stops yesterday during our trip to Virgin Gorda was to visit The Baths and Devil's Bay which is one of the most spectucular scenes I've seen.

After walking down through a canopy of Sea Grape trees you arrive on this tiny little beach area with a pristine lagoon with these huge boulders that form little caves and grottos.

They have hiking trails that take you in and around the caves and you end up on little deserted beach spots. At Devil's Bay we were the ONLY people on the beach.

Here is one of the grottos that you can wade around in and see crabs and little baby fish in schools swimming around. What an awesome place!

Later in the day we were invited by "our new friends" to a more local area of the island where they were having a pig roast. It was just a shady spot on the side of the road set up with open pit fire grills and coolers set on wooden picnic benches all around.

Not having ever seen a slaughter I was fascinated by the process.

These folks don't let anything go to waste and used everything from the Rooter to the Tooter!

Here they were preparing the intestines to strip them and use them for sausage casings.

You basically put a stick into the intestine and "strip" and clean the insides and then wash them and do it again, and again, and again until they are cleaned and ready to stuff with the sausage filling.

As I was taking this picture Lester, our host, stripped this one and a little "Piggy Poop" splattered on the table and landed on my cheek! I had an immediate dry heave and threw up, just a little bit, into my mouth.

I guess I can check THAT ONE off my Bucket List!!

No comments: