Friday, October 10, 2008

Daihatsu; "God Bless You"


After thinking we could make it on the island "without wheels" Paul and I ultimately decided it is actually cheaper to own a car rather than rely on cabs to and fro simply due to the high cost of taxi fares and we didn't want to wear out our friendships by borrowing other people's cars. While my butt and calves are starting to look quite fine from walking all thoses hills the decision to acquire our new ride has been made. It is a Daihatsu Teirus (sounds like I'm sneezing, doesn't it?) A neighbor already has one and offered us the chance to test drive his since the one we're buying is a used one from St. Maarten. Paul and I drove around the island in it day before yesterday and as we were driving up one of the very steep hills from Fort Bay in its eensty weensty four cylinder engine, Paul said "It's kind of fun to see how the other half lives". Ummn, My dear we now ARE the other half.....!!

But after waking up to yet another spectacular sunrise and then seeing the US world facing another day of doom and gloom on Wall Street I couldn't help but relish in the utter simplicity of this place. Waking up each morning to the sun and the sweet smell of Jasmine blooms and orange makes me feel richer now without money than I ever did before. Corny but true!

2 comments:

Doug Johnson said...

Screw you and your Jasmine scented air! The sky is falling!

P.S. You should have had that car in Sleepy Hollow, it would have fit right in!

LAMama-MSDad said...

Those are 4 cylinders that i have a LOT of compasion for!

:/