Monday, October 6, 2008

Massa gonna break them chains, Oh my

Yesterday Paul and I got up early and since it was Sunday I decided to put on some Gospel music on the IPod. It was Paul's player so I scrolled down to the Gospel genre and hit Play All. I was out on the front porch enjoying my coffee with the music playing a little too loudly when Paul came out and said "Oh, my God Chris. Do you know what you're playing?"

I hadn't really paid any attention to the lyrics but the album was titled "Songs of Blackness" and it was old slave music with some Religious tones to it. In the chorus of the song currently playing was the choir singing "pickin' cotton, pickin' cotton, Massa gonna break them chains"

Now that I know that Saba was a temporary holding point for African slaves being transported to the States, I quickly realized that the music was NOT PC to listen to. Luckily I haven't received any nasty glares from the locals just yet.

Typical Chris Fries style, bumbling through life offending people without even realizing it.

1 comment:

LAMama-MSDad said...

we all know you've not a racist bone in your innocent li'l body...Shanayanay!