Monday, October 27, 2008

A Day in St. Maarten

Paul and I got up bright and early Saturday morning for our quick little trip to St. Maarten for the day. We travelled on The Dawn II which is the ferry/supply boat that goes back and forth several times a week.

The "locals" said that it was a good day to take the boat across because the seas were sooo calm. Uh, Bullshit. Now I have an appreciation for the endearing nickname, The Vomit Comet.... Jeez Louise. Luckily Paul had a Dramimine for me so I didn't actually use the barf bag but wanted to share an image of me at 7am. Notice the pale green hue in my cheeks.
We arrived in St. Maarten about 9am and spent a bit of the morning shopping along Front Street which took a pretty hard hit from Hurricane Omar. After a quick breakfast we went to the food/vendor show to see what kind of good things we can order for the restaurant. That was lots of fun.

We had to pick up Johanna's sister, Menom from the airport later that afternoon so stopped by Sunset Beach first. The bar sits at the end of the airport runway and we got to watch her plane land.

It's pretty wild to see such a huge plane coming in. It feels like you could reach up and touch it.

After drinking a little courage back into my nervous self, we ventured back to that steel floating coffin for our trek back to Saba.

I'm not sure if the seas had actually calmed down for the return ride or if the combination of Absolut and Heinekens made it more tolerable but we really had a nice time coming back and enjoyed a spectacular sunset.

No comments: