Saturday, January 23, 2010

Oh Go Fly a Kite!


I had "this brilliant" idea a while back for something fun and creative to do here at the hotel to attract interest which was to get some professional quality kites and have them fly above the hotel.

The winds remain constant on the cliffside and I thought it would be fun to put them out each morning and have them fly high in the sky all day and people could see them from the town below, from the main road and from the sea.

I was thinking of memories from the beach when the boardwalk kite store had them flying and didn't require any "real attention" to keep them in the air.

Well, when Paul was in St. Maarten this past Thursday he bought 2 of them for me. The first one is the swirly one and and has streamers on it and the second one is a big fish.

I put the fish together first and attempted to fly it but it promptly nose dived into the pool. The second attempt landed it into the cactus and the final approach took it over the roof and straight into the prickly Bouganvilla vine on the second floor.
Enough of the fish, I though so went straight for the swirly one. (I like the word Swirly - it kind of slides right off my tongue)
Anyway that one didn't work either. I couldn't even get "swirly kite" off the ground.
The best efforts recorded for an hour plus attempt was Mr. Fish about 20 feet in the air right before making it's death dive!!
So much for Joy and Whimsy for me today so back to my chores.

No comments: