Friday, January 22, 2010

Snap, Crackle and Pop


Chris' chore list for today included removing all of the old light fixtures in the baths on the cliffside. Thinking that would involve lots of stair climbing I prepared myself and planned accordingly with all the tools I'd need to accomplish the task. WRONG!!

The old lights are the mirrored style tracks that hold these big white light bulbs which kind of reminded me of the dressing rooms for "actresses" in a burlesque house. They are hideous!!

The problem with removing them is that all of the screws were rusted which required a trip down the 75 steep steps to get some WD-40. Back up I go and it doesn't work.

So I run back down 75 steps to get a power screwdriver, hammer and some other tools to try and pry them loose. Nothing!!

I finally get the first one down by simply ripping it off the wall and the sharp edge of the metal cut my arm. Back down 75 steps to get some more "tools of the trade" and allow my tyrade to ebb.

I finally get to the last one and don't realize that the ceiling light and the wall light are on the same switch so as I'm taking it off the wall the 2 wires hit together against my thumb ... and .... Snap, Crackle, Pop!!

I had things on my body pop to attention that hasn't happened in a very long time!!

Once recovered from my little Zap I realize that THIS fixture is bolted on with concrete screws which require, yet another trip down the 75 steps to get the crescent wrench and lock nut set. Back up I go and its the wrong size.

The string of expletives that came streaming out of my mouth would have made a grown man blush. I'm sure all of Booby Hill heard me.

The good news out of all of this is that the first "new" fixture is installed and looks great.

No comments: